Sunday, January 23, 2011

"This life is but a small moment"

First my Uncle passed away, then a week later, my patient that I have watched for most of his life, lost his battle to Spinal Muscular Atrophy. My heart can't take it anymore! It's been an emotional exhausting couple of weeks. Karson taught us that real strength comes from within. He had no muscle. Couldn't move his body and it hurt him to do so. His inner strength superceded his physical state. He fought through this disease. He fought hard. The spirit that he held was amazing. My uncle fought long and hard till the end as well. He was always a gentleman, always putting others' needs first, his entire life. When I visited him in the hospital on Christmas day, the only thing he could have was ice. I got him some, and he was so sweet when he offered some to my grandma and I. Always serving. Always thinking of others, till his last day.
Oh how grateful I am for the plan of salvation. This gospel brings my soul such peace. I now see my Uncle telling all sorts of stories with his dad, up in heaven. And Karson, I can't get the image out of my head of him running in the wind, flying a kite. Such peace this gospel truly brings.

To read about Karson, go here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully put. just thinking of you.

Megan Rogers said...

Oh, Kaija, what a tough month you've had! But like you said, the plan of salvation makes everything a little easier.
I just know that those two have very important things to accomplish with our Father in Heaven.

Chandra said...

Thank goodness for the gospel! I know it doesn't make missing them any easier, though. I'm sorry, you've been through a lot in the past month. :-(

little MOEments said...

Kaija,
I had no idea that you were dealing with so much. You are always in my thoughts and I hope that your heart is healing. I love stopping by your blog to be reminded of how lucky I am to have such an amazing friend.
Maureen