Thursday, November 24, 2011

From my hEaRt

Today it is Thanksgiving.  A day specifically held for acknowledging our many blessings. I know we give thanks throughout the year to our Heavenly Father, and our loved ones, for the many many things they do for us, but I am grateful to have this day to do so. I have 3 major blessings I want to share....

I am an incredibly blessed person. I always feel a little more blessed than others because of my adoption from India. I was born in one of the poorest, most poverty-driven cities in the world. Calcutta. I was born in a place where they placed babies in shoe boxes, to die, so they could be reincarnated. They don't know any better. They think, by allowing their preemie babies to die, they can come back and live a better life. I survived my "shoe box experience" and was placed in an orphanage that cared for its babies like we were their very own. The care I received was incredible. A moment in my life I will never ever forget, and one that connected my heart to my "Home" was going back to that orphanage. I got to hold babies and love them. I got to meet the social worker that picked me up from the birthing place seventeen years ago. Not a coincindence. It was amazing.  (I joked that my story could be on the Oprah show!)  Going back, was a life changing experience.

Reason number 2 why my heart swells with gratitude is because,  I am thankful for a courageous, strong, caring, selfless mother who was willing to adopt a baby girl. She was single. What strength and love she possesses. She has given me the world. She has cared for me, loved me, protected me, and continues to love me over and over again. She is my life. Without her, I would not be WHERE I am today, and WHO I am today....

My third blessing, is that I have the gospel. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This gospel is my solid foundation. It is making me who I am. It  is molding me into who I am meant to become. It is what makes me happy
I am grateful for these major blessings in my life. I am grateful for everything thing that I have. I am learning to acknowledge and see the little blessings in my life too.

Every year around the holidays, my heart aches. I long to be with my eternal companion. I hate being alone. I always pray silently, that "next year, there will be another place setting at the table." Yet, here I am....still single. I am learning to love the moment in life I am in right NOW.  ...I have been able to do many amazing things...for example, I just got to travel to Italy...a dream of mine that I made come true!
I am learning to recognize the blessings I enjoy because of my single state! I read this quote on none other than pinterest....it says, 
"We must be willing to let got of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." 
(Joseph Campbell)
I have learned, and am STILL learning, that what I think my future holds, is nothing compared to what HE has in store for me. He too wants me to be happy. And the only way  I can be, is to turn toward HIM. 
So there it is. The top 3 blessings that I am grateful for! 
Just so you know, blessing number 4 is a toss up between mashed potatoes and gravy, and ice cream :)

Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving and remembered your blessings too!

(PS I apologize there are no pictures to make this post more exciting..... my computer with my pics on it is down...)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post, Kaija... So many great things to be thankful for. You're an incredible woman. You'll find an equally incredible man, I'm sure of it. He's just going through the necessary steps so that he can be ready to be the best man he can be for you :)

That quote is a VERY good one. I need to try to implement that in my life, a little more... (easier said than done, right?) Happy Thanksgiving!

Megan Rogers said...

Love this post!! I always think about how Heavenly Father has amazing things in store for you. Why else would he bring you here? I love you so much and I know there is that very special guy out there who is probably bettering himself so that he is worthy of you!!
Oh, and blessing #4 should have been your amazing Meg!! s