Sunday, June 1, 2014

Can you give me one of your Saturdays.

So at age 30 I am STILL humbly learning life lessons from my mom. A few weeks before Easter my mom asks me a question. "Can you give me one of your Saturdays?"
As a young single adult, working with kindergarteners day after day, Saturdays are precious! I roll my eyes and say, "What do you need help with?"(Not getting the Daughter of the Year award after that...)
 I let my mind fast forward and thought, does she need help cleaning out the shed, or attaching a photo to an email- my patience in teaching her technology is gone.
She replies, I don't need help with anything. My mind didn't really hear her and I rambled off some Saturday that I would begrudgingly spend time *helping* her do something.
Well, Easter Sunday comes. I was supposed to go over and help her the previous day. I thought she would remind me or call me or something. She didn't.
She says, "Yesterday you were supposed to come over. "  I said Oh shoot. You should have reminded me. She says, "No, I wasn't going to remind you. This was going to be on your terms."
Well turns out, my wonderful and loving mother had set up an Easter girls day for us. We were to get our hair cut, pedicures and lunch. "This was going to be your Easter present." she said.
Me now feeling like a complete idiot and trying not to act like I cared, said oh can we still do it?
You can bet what her answer was....No.
I was truly humbled. There were no others words for how I felt. Humbled. 



Sometimes we are asked to do things, and we may not yet see the benefits or blessings that come from doing what we were asked to do.
A lot of times, blessings come from within the heart. A simple peaceful feeling knowing you helped someone, a moment that allows you to grow closer to Heavenly Father. These opportunities are blessings that allow us to become more like our Savior. We may be stretched at times, but HE knows exactly what He is molding us in to.  It may be painful, lonely or hard, but with Heavenly Father by our side, we can get through!
 photo courtey: http://keepingitpersonal.com/2012/04/potters-hands/

Now go listen to Julie de
Azevedo's "Masterpiece."  #14
"Write your will upon my heart, mold my soul to your design."






1 comments:

Unknown said...

What a tough, sweet lesson from your mom... she sounds like a great lady.